Who can participate?
Any natural person over 18 years of age or any legal person may participate and/or compete,
regardless of their nationality. *
* See Awards for the specific countries for the Award for Best Short Film on Human Rights
WHAT TYPE OF SHORT FILM CAN PARTICIPATE?
The Author/Producer/Distributor can present all the short films they want and that have been
produced after January 1, 2020.
Important: The short films are audiovisual productions of up to 25 minutes and must be fiction, animation, and documentary. The recommended video formats are mov, mp4 and with a resolution of 1080, framing of 16:9. sound format recommended is in 2:1 stereo.
In the Mobile Filmmaker category, the same rules are applied as for the rest, but with the following conditions: only shorts made by smartphones are allowed, indicating the brand and model; the use of mobile devices (drones, action cameras, etc.) is allowed for a maximum of 10% of the total duration of the short film; the duration will be up to 15 minutes; The use of external elements (microphones, lighting dollies) is allowed during filming and in postproduction the use of editing programs or image treatments that the participant deems appropriate.
Indicate the brand and model of the smartphone implies the automatic disqualification of the
short film, and the award may be left void at the discretion of the Jury and the FICIE Organization.
Important: Reduced, modified, or extended versions of other short films will not be accepted, nor can they have been presented in previous editions of FICIE or with another title. Commercial advertisements, video clips or trailers of other films or unfinished works (work in progress) are also not allowed.
Important: If your language is NOT Spanish, you will have to have the subtitles inserted in Spanish, or the subtitles separately in srt. If, in this case, a short film in a non-Spanish language is selected, it will have to provide subtitles in Spanish in .srt format, otherwise it will be disqualified.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
Important: Digital files on physical support will not be accepted, only links on Vimeo.
Important: The Author/Producer/Distributor can submit all the short films they want from the date of publication of these rules and until 23:59:59 pm (Spanish time) on April 25, 2022 through the associated official platforms, Click for Festivals, Movibeta and Festhome. There will also be the bases of this edition of FICIE in Spanish and English.
At the time of registration, the Author/Producer/Distributor will have at their disposal a menu to choose from in the category they wish to register their short films. You can only enter a short film in one category, NOT in several.
The Organization will get in touch, through the associated online platforms, with all the participants from the closing of the registration period to confirm or not their effective participation in this edition.
All doubts can be resolved at:
WHEN, WHICH SHORT FILMS ARE PROJECTED AND WHERE?
Important: The Selection Jury will select the short films that will be part of the Official Section. His decision will be known as of June 15, 2022. All those short films that have been finally selected will be notified of their participation at least two weeks before the start of the screenings.
Important: The projections of the Official Competitive Section and the Mostra’t Sections (non competitive) will be from July 16 to 21, 2022 , from 9:45 p.m. to 00:30 a.m. approximately (Spanish time), in the “Hort del Xocolater” Park (center of the Fundación Mediterráneo) and in the Arenales del Sol Beach.
At the time of communicating the selection, the Organization will send each of the finalists a pdf of the projection conditions, the Official Selection laurels and the reminder of the optimal audio and video formats and the details of the projection location. In the “Hort del Xocolater” park (Elche) there is a maximum capacity for a thousand people, but that will be conditioned by the sanitary measures that, for this purpose, will be in force in July 2022.
Important: the incorporation of the laurels of the Official Section is mandatory for all those selected in the FICIE.
In the projection site of the Arenales del Sol Beach (Elche) there is a capacity for a maximum of three hundred people. The assembly at Arenales del Sol Beach will be conditioned by the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic and the health regulations that, for this purpose, will be in force in July 2022.
The Mostra´t Section is NOT competitive and has the objective of supporting short films made by authors from Elche, associations, students of educational centers, university students of the Communication Degree of the “Miguel Hernández” University of Elche.
With this, the aim is to influence values of equality, Human Rights and training in local audiovisual production for both future filmmakers and young people as a film-consuming public. These projections are made in the same locations and on the same dates but from 9:30 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. (Spanish time), approximately, according to programming needs .
Likewise, Amazon Prime Video Channel “TVShorts” will contact the authors of the short films selected in the Official Section to obtain the necessary permits to be screened on said platform.
Important: Participation in this Festival implies the assignment of the broadcasting rights of the images sent within the scope of the Festival itself, which will be archived by the organization if deemed appropriate and by mutual agreement with the owners of the work.
If applicable, certify adherence to SGAE or another copyright management entity. At this point, it will not be considered any obligation on the part of the Festival if the data is not provided.
HOW IS IT PROJECTED?
Important: Once the short films that will be part of the Official Section are known, the Organization will contact the Author/Producer/Distributor to request the high-quality projection copies that will have to be in their possession by June 25, 2022, from optimally about two weeks before the start of screenings.
The selected short films will have to be identical in duration, content, and title to those presented on the official associated platforms and on the Vimeo links presented. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
Important: The Organization is committed to the highest quality in screenings and will guarantee the satisfaction of the Author/Producer/Distributor. The recommended video formats for this festival are mov, mp4 and with a resolution of 1080, frame of 16:9.
The sound format is 2:1 stereo. The weight of the recommended digital file to be able to project optimally should not exceed 3 GB. At the time of communicating the selection, the Organization will send each of the finalists a pdf of the screening conditions and a reminder of the optimal audio and video formats.
Important: As indicated above, for those short films in non-Spanish language and that have been selected at this time, it will be mandatory to submit a copy with inserted subtitles or at least in separate .srt format. Otherwise, they will be disqualified and will not be able to project.
The shipping method will be online: Dropbox, Google Drive, Onedrive, Wetransfer, etc. Shipments by physical means (pen drives, etc.) will NOT be accepted.
Important: With the aim of reaching all audiences, this year the Organization will give the option and for this it will request permission from the authors/distributors/producers of the selected works to be able to carry out online screenings on the same days with the usual security measures. and required geographic restrictions.
It is optional, NOT mandatory. The same short film can be screened in front of the face-to-face and online audience at the same time or only in front of the face-to-face audience, to choose from.
Important: The Organization wants to facilitate the presentation and networking of the Spanish teams, in the event that the sanitary conditions derived from the Covid-19 pandemic allow it or otherwise online.
Consequently, it will organize a series of activities that will be published on the official FICIE website, via email and telephone with those selected to offer travel, diet and one night’s hotel stay to the Author/Distributor/Producer of the selected Spanish plus companion, informing them of the screening day of their short film.
WHAT CATEGORIES OF CONTESTANTS ARE THERE?
Important: At the time of registering your short films on the official FICIE platforms, the Author/Producer/Distributor will decide in which category to register your short film. Each short film can be entered in a single category, not in several.
Notwithstanding, the Organization and /or the FICIE Selection Juries will have the power to transfer the category to those short films that, according to their criteria, are not in the one that corresponds to them and that, consequently, can better opt for the prizes of the honors
- Fiction Category: Those who register for this category will be Spanish and international fiction authors who want to compete for the “Mediterranean Foundation” Best Short Film Award, “Ciutat d ‘Elx” Fiction Award, Best European Short Film and Best Iberoamerican Short Film Awards.
- Animation Category: Those who register for this category will be Spanish and international Animation authors who want to compete for the “Mediterranean Foundation” Best Short Film Award, Best European Short Film Award, Best Ibero American Short Film Award and the Animation Award.
- Documentary Category: Those who register for this category will be Spanish and international documentary filmmakers who want to compete for the “Mediterranean Foundation” Best Short Film Award, Best European Short Film Award, Best Ibero American Short Film Award and Best Documentary Short Film Award.
- Fes Curt Category : Those productions that come from authors of the Valencian Community or production companies based in said Autonomous Community and that may compete for the Best Short Film Award of the Valencian Community will enter. They can be works of Fiction, Animation or Documentary and preferably in the Valencian language or subtitled in it.
- Novel Author Category: Both Spanish and international authors who have made up to their third short film who want to compete for the “Luis Buñuel Club Cinema” Best Novel Short Film Award. They can be works of Fiction, Animation or Documentary.
- Human Rights Category: International authors from Mediterranean countries or those linked to it *, except Spain, who want to compete for the Human Rights Best Short Film Award, may choose. They can be works of Fiction, Animation or Documentary.
- Mobile Filmmaker Category : Both Spanish and international authors whose production has been carried out using a smartphone will be eligible. It can be Fiction or Documentary.
* They are considered Mediterranean for the purposes of the festival:
- a) Mediterranean countries are understood as all those belonging to the coast of the Mediterranean Sea: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Turkey, Tunisia.
- b) Countries linked to Mediterranean cultures are understood as Andorra, Jordan, Kosovo, the territories of Kurdistan (within Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey), San Marino, North Macedonia, Mauritania, the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic and Romania.
HONORS OF THE 45TH EDITION. 14,000 EUROS IN CASH
“MEDITERRANEAN FOUNDATION” BEST SHORT FILM AWARD, of any category and of any nationality. It is endowed with 3,000 euros and a Lady Trophy *.
“CIUTAT D´ELX” FICTION AWARD , (prize awarded by the Elche City Council) of any nationality and endowed with 2,000 euros and Lady Trophy.
ANIMATION AWARD , of any nationality. It is endowed with 2,000 euros and a Lady Trophy. DOCUMENTARY AWARD , of any nationality. It is endowed with 2,000 euros and a Lady Trophy.
EUROPEAN AWARD , in any category and belonging to the European sphere (not Spain). Endowed with 1,000 euros and Lady Trophy.
IBEROAMERICAN AWARD , in any category and belonging to Latin America and Brazil. Endowed with 1,000 euros and Lady Trophy.
FES CURT AWARD , endowed with 500 euros and Lady Trophy. Which may be chosen in any of the categories and whose production comes from authors of the Valencian Community or production companies based in said Autonomous Community and preferably in Valencian or subtitled in this language.
“LUIS BUÑUEL CLUB CINEMA” BEST SHORT FILM NOVEL AUTHOR AWARD, endowed with 500 euros and Lady Trophy, eligible in any of the categories. Both Spanish and international authors who have made up to their third short film may choose.
MOBILE FILMMAKER AWARD , endowed with 500 euros and Lady Trophy. They can be Fiction or Documentary, which can be chosen by both Spanish and international authors whose production has been carried out by smartphone.
“HORT DEL XOCOLATER” PUBLIC AWARD , endowed with 500 euros and Lady Trophy from among those Spanish and international short films that are part of the FICIE Official Selection. The short film that has received the most votes from the public attending the screenings of the Official Section at the Hort del Xocolater between July 16 and 21, 2022 will be chosen.
“FICIE ORIGINALS” WEBSERIES PROJECT AWARD , endowed with 1,000 euros for the projects presented by the Audiovisual Communication and Journalism Degrees of the Miguel Hernández University of Elche, and The Shortest Day will be announced on December 21, 2022.
Important: If the case arises, at the discretion of the Organization and/or the Jury, one of these prizes may remain void.
Important: The FICIE will award the laurels of each award to the winners and their inclusion in the short film is mandatory.
Important: The FICIE does not oblige its winners to come to collect the prizes, nor does it condition the granting of a prize, but it does provide the aforementioned facilities so that they can attend with the public of the city of Elche.
* In the case of being of Spanish nationality, of Fiction or Documentary and complying with the regulations set by the Film Academy for the Goya Awards of the 2023 Edition, you will enter the Preselection automatically.
JOINT COLLABORATIONS AND HONORS
1,000 EUROS IN CASH AND EXPANSION OF THE FESTIVALS CIRCUIT
Important : As this edition is so significant for the Fundación Mediterráneo, as organizer of FICIE, some of these awards will be announced before the Closing Gala on July 22, 2022. The how, when and where will be announced in advance and by the usual media, digital and social networks.
In this edition of FICIE, the following collaborations and joint awards have been achieved:
THE BEST SHORT FILM ON HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD, in any category and belonging to the Mediterranean coast and/or linked to it *, except Spain, in collaboration with SocialMed València – Mediterranean Human Rights Festival . It is endowed with 1,000 euros and a Lady Trophy.
Important : If the case arises, at the discretion of the Organization and/or the Jury, this award could be void.
The Association of Women Filmmakers and Audiovisual Media (CIMA) will award the CIMA Award to the Best Filmmaker endowed with its statuette and a one-year subscription to said association.
Important : If necessary, at the discretion of CIMA, this award could be void.
The winner of the Mobile Filmmaker Award will enter directly as a finalist in the Cinephone Smartphone Film Festival in its 2022 edition.
The winner of the Mostra de Cinema Jove d’Elx , in its 2022 edition, will enter directly as selected in our Official Short Film Section, Fiction category of this edition.
At the discretion of the jury and the Reykjavík International Film Festival Organization , one or more Spanish short films from the Official Section or the Palmares will be finalists in the 2022 edition.
At the discretion of the jury and the Organization of the Edimburgh Spanish Film Festival , one or several Spanish short films from the Official Section or the Palmares will enter the Festival of its 2022 edition.
At the discretion of the jury and the Organization of the London Spanish Film Festival , one or more Spanish short films from the Official Section or the Palmares will enter the Official Section of the 2022 edition.
At the discretion of the jury and the organization of the Hayah Panama International Short Film Festival, one or more Spanish short films from the Official Section or the Palmares, will enter the Official Section of the 2022 Edition and vice versa.
From Amazon Prime Video Channel “TVShorts” they will contact, at their discretion, the authors that make up the Official Section to obtain the corresponding permissions to broadcast them on their schedule.
Important : Finally, the FICIE will announce and incorporate all those new collaborations and prizes that have not been closed at the time of publication of these rules.
* They are considered Mediterranean for the purposes of the festival:
a) Mediterranean countries are understood as all those belonging to the coast of the Mediterranean Sea: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Turkey, Tunisia.
b) Countries linked to Mediterranean cultures are understood as Andorra, Jordan, Kosovo, the territories of Kurdistan (within Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey), San Marino, North Macedonia, Mauritania, the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic and Romania.
WHAT IS DONE WITH THE SHORT FILMS AND THE STORED PERSONAL DATA?
The Author/Director/Distributor of the works submitted to the contest declares that they are their authorship, direction and production and that, being original, they are free from third party claims.
Without prejudice to the use and commercialization that the Author/Director/Distributor makes of the winning work, the Organization will be empowered to:
- The right to preserve the works in a digital file so that they can be viewed only by users during the week of screenings at the FICIE headquarters in the “Hort del Xocolater” park (Elche) and on the Arenales Beach of the Sun (Elche).
- The limited rights of public communication of the winning works so that the Fundación Mediterráneo, through the activities it organizes or collaborates with, can carry out as
many projections as necessary in order to promote the winning works. The projections will serve to disseminate the short film and the Festival itself, as long as this does not affect the distribution and possible commercialization of the short film and having the necessary permits to be able to project the works of its Official Section and/or will negotiate the fee or canon . in order to project them.
- The reproduction rights of the winning works so that they can be archived and that the Fundación Mediterráneo can make a special edition in CD, DVD , or similar format in which the work is included together with the rest of the works presented to the present or previous Editions of the International Independent Film Festival of Elche, but always with the authorization of the Author/Director/Distributor with the aim of not harming its distribution and marketing.
- The Fundación Mediterráneo supports the short film industry by paying copyright to the SGAE on all its reproductions, whether during the screenings of the Official Section or in other organized cycles.
- All personal data and only the email addresses of those registered in the FICIE edition will be kept for the purposes of communication of new editions. Those registered for the newsletter on the official FICIE website at https://ficie.fundacionmediterraneo.es/ will also be used for this purpose.
HOW AND WHEN ARE PRIZES PAID?
The FICIE Organization will contact all the winners to indicate the payment conditions. The Organization undertakes to make the payment within a maximum of three months after having the corresponding information with the following exceptions:
- If the Organization cannot establish contact with the winner/winners within that period, the amount of the prize will revert to the Fundación Mediterráneo as organizer of the FICIE.
- If the Organization cannot make the bank transfer due to international trade embargoes.
- The economic endowment of the prizes are gross amounts to which the corresponding withholdings will be applied by Spanish and international legislation .
AND THE SENDING OF THE TROPHIES?
The trophies that have not been collected by the non-attending winners will be sent after the Closing Ceremony.
Due to the safety and hygiene conditions provided by the health authorities caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, the trophies will be properly packaged, sanitized and sealed and subsequently sent to the winners through the SEUR international courier service.
After the completion of this edition, the Organization will contact the Author/Producer/Distributor to request their postal address and contact telephone number.
If the Organization cannot contact or have a postal address to duly deliver the trophies of the authors who could not come to collect them, they will be returned to the Fundación Mediterráneo, which will keep them in storage.
The same will apply in the event that there are trade embargoes in the destination country and delivery cannot be made.